Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tis' Better to Give than Receive... We Should All Try It.

Wow... it's mid-December.  Where has this year gone?   We are truly in the midst of the holiday season.... with bells, boughs of holly and all of the fa-la-la we can tolerate... ready or not... it is upon us.   It is the season of giving... and we all know that it is better to give than receive.   I've thought a lot about that phrase over the last week and thought what a great idea if we all... had that philosophy through-out the entire year.   In our personal and professional lives... tis' better to give than receive ... what might happen?

Would we be more productive?  Would we engage our customers or clients more?  Would networking lead to success for us in other ways?  Would we raise the bar on our own standards?  Would we elevate the quality of our work?  At home, would we be respected more?  Would there be less debates or hearty discussions?  Would there be more quality time?   Would it be reciprocated?

for me... I think the answer to all of these questions would be a hands down YES.   I've often thought that you should always.. give more than you receive.   My own work ethic as well as my personal one is one of ... i know that someone where down the line it will come back to me two-fold.  Maybe I'm naive.  Maybe I'm never going to make it to be a millionaire.  Maybe I'm one of those lost souls who believes you should be the bigger person.   Maybe I think by doing more for my family, friends, work colleagues... that somehow... it will be reciprocated.   Whatever I am... I just know that for myself... giving more than I receive brings great joy and hopefully one day..... great rewards.  As a matter of speaking, it already has..

When you're in a relationship whether personal or business, it's often easy to get very frustrated when one person gives more than the other.  I've often thought at times... that the one not giving as much... should learn from example... and try it.   I've also realized that you can't change everyone and that there are some people who are just selfish.   Selfish?   What I mean is that they put their own needs and wants before others.   I guess there's nothing wrong with that and I am sure that many successful people today have had that same attitude.  More power to them.  If they can live with it... then, guess I can as well.   I just know that for myself... some of my greatest successes have come from giving more than I received.   My life is enriched by the people in it.   The relationships that I have developed over the years are many and each of them has brought something new to my life.   I've also found... that by giving more... I do indeed receive more.

As we continue with the holiday spirit, I hope that we'll all look deep in our hearts and give unto others more than we have before and allow ourselves to truly experience the season of giving.  In your own community, there are friends, neighbors, colleagues who may be struggling or going through a hard time... and you'd never know it.   There are many without homes, food, warm clothing or a kind word.

There are many military families who will be without their loved one this season.  What a great gift of giving to let them know they are not alone and that we all appreciate the sacrifice and love for country that they as a family give so that we may enjoy freedom.   Freedom is truly not free and these men, women and their families are the reason we have it.  

 Often, I've been accused of being too generous, too giving... but is there truly such a thing?     I know that my heart bursts with joy when I have helped another person or gone above and beyond for someone who truly appreciates it.  The magic is in their heartfelt smile or genuine gratitude.  I know that there have been many that I have helped... and regardless of whether or not they gave back the same way, in my heart, I know that I did it out of love or friendship or an act of simple kindness.

We often get caught up in the season of giving... but it is not about the gifts wrapped under the tree or the bows that adorn them.  Christmas is a time for family and friends.  Christmas is a time to give of yourself... but with that in mind, try to do it all year long.

Most importantly, let's not forget the real meaning of Christmas, celebrating the birth of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  One of my favorite holiday classics - Charlie Brown Christmas is so meaningful to me because Charles Schulz would not be pressured by the network to take out Linus' passage about the true meaning.  In case you didn't get a chance to view the holiday classic this year,.. here's a link --- just click on it to view...

Linus' explains the true meaning of Christmas   

This season... and all year long,  may you embrace giving more than receiving.   May God Bless Each of You for a safe and joyous season.

Merry Christmas Ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...