Thursday, January 13, 2011

Attitude is EVERYTHING!

Many years ago – not giving away my age here, I had a mentor who told me that 85% of everything you do is attitude and 15% is skill.  He even drew me this PIE that broke it up and placed it on the wall at my desk.  He told me to look at it every single day... and to believe it.   He also emphasized that first and foremost in everything I do... sell myself.   At the time, I was way too young to understand what he truly meant or appreciate it.   I also, had "THE" attitude back in the day... that I knew everything.   Thank goodness, he had the patience and ability to see the potential within me to care enough to turn me around.  Not only did I learn a lot about attitude, I learned quite a bit about humility.  If someone ever offers you constructive criticism in a positive manner, my advice... is to listen.

I learned so much in my early career about being positive and how a simple smile can change the whole outcome of a meeting, business deal or personal experience.    Attitude can make or break you in all aspects of your life, not just professionally.   A positive attitude goes a long way in helping secure your dreams.   Negativity never wins.   And so, on the advice of a very wise man many years ago… I changed my attitude.   I realized that I can’t control every situation nor can I predict the outcome.   I can, go about every day, with an open mind, a positive outlook, sharing a smile and being as prepared as possible and with those tools – become successful.  Take a  look around you and make a mental note of those people that you truly enjoy being around, both professionally and personally... I would bet that one of the reason's is their attitude. 

For those of you who travel frequently, how many times have you been on an airplane and you met a flight attendant with a wonderful disposition or those times when you met one who seemed to be having a bad day?  Which one made your flight more enjoyable or which one made you feel like you were an inconvenience for having purchased a ticket?   What about when you are in a department store and the clerk was rude or seemed to be too busy to help?  There are many examples of when someone’s attitude affected you whether negatively or positively and its in those moments, that there are lessons to be learned.

Business is no easy task regardless of your chosen profession.   If you go into every day with a smile and a positive attitude, then, your opportunities are endless.  Some of the most successful people that I have ever met — it was their attitude that drew me in.  It was magnetic.  They re-energized me and made me want to excel.  They made me believe in what they were doing or wanting to do.  Same goes on a personal level... when I meet someone with a smile on their face ... its contagious.  If I am in a bad mood or having a bad day... I quickly forget and find myself smiling back at them.  Do you realize how much time we waste frowning (no wonder all the wrinkles appear) and worrying about things we cannot change.

Trust me when I say this... I am a STRESSER.  I stress about everything... no matter how big or small.   For the most part, once I start stressing,  I try my best to work my way out of it.   I start to look for positive things going on in my life and really focus on those.  Its not easy... and there are times when I don't always work myself out of it.  But... I do put forth the effort.  The old saying... When life gives you lemons... make lemonade has never been truer.
 
Someone once told me to hold a mirror up and watch myself while conversing on the phone.   When engaging in positive conversations over the telephone, the outcome was always successful because the enthusiasm could be felt.  Next time you are on the phone, give it a try – it might just be the key to your next deal.   I have tried this and it really does work.   At the time... it felt silly and I was pretty much giggling at myself the entire time, which led to me smiling and having a better attitude through-out the whole phone call.  

Our attitudes to provide customers with results, a great experience and most of all a genuine smile and approach that shows we truly care about their business as well as our own.   On a personal level, it shows that we are approachable and friendly.   NOBODY wants to be around someone who is negative all the time.  You know who I am talking about... all they do is complain... complain... complain...... about everything.  Attitude should be at the top of our priority list every day to ensure that our enthusiasm about our opportunities life has to offer is clearly visible in every way.   As my mentor once told me, 85% is the lion’s share… grasp it while you can.

I have often had strangers come up to me and say that they just wanted to meet me because they thought I was having such a great time and they loved my zest for life.   More often than not, the conversation led to a friendship that I still have to this day.   Engaging others is one of the biggest gifts you can give someone else.   A smile is free.  Offer it openly and often.   The results just might surprise you. 

I originally wrote this blog several months ago and was asked to repost it.  So, with a few revisions... its got new life... and a NEW ATTITUDE.   

: )

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog and philosophy, Jen. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Job Jen!!!! I did notice you do not have the Philadelphia FLyers on your favorite things.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich ... I will have to remedy that by actually coming up to a FLYERS game!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...