Monday, January 9, 2012

The Lesson Joey Taught Me....

For me... relaxing is not an easy task.   As you've found out through-out reading my blog for the past year... I stress and worry... and finding ways to decompress are difficult for me.  I'm not saying that I haven't been able to accomplish it... but, it's difficult.   One of my favorite things... to do... whether alone or with others... is to spend a couple of hours in a movie theatre being swept away.   

I always  enjoy previews of coming movies, books, television programs, etc.  There are some that "lure" you in from the moment you see them or read about them for the first time.  There are others.. that come out of nowhere and surprise you.  (The Help... The Blind Side...)

For me... every holiday season, there's always one movie that is a "must" see because of the previews.     It seems that the movie industry has figured out that after you do your Christmas Eve... and Christmas Day Lunch with your family, extended family and whoever else stops in that..... by afternoon and evening... YOU need an outlet... so why not take the family to the movie.   This has become a tradition of sorts in my own family and this holiday season was no exception.

So.. this year... without a doubt... I knew from the very first preview, my holiday movie was going to be War Horse.   There was something quite compelling about it that just "had me at hello".

I wasn't sure how I would handle the "war" portion of the movie...but for me, the relationships came through even in the previews and I knew... it was THE ONE movie, I had to see.  So... bundled up, Christmas afternoon... the Clampetts headed to the movie.  (What's interesting is that we had a discussion on the way... that we'd be the only ones there... ummm... NOT.   It was a packed house.... all showings!)

As titled, the horse is definitely the key to all of the relationships in the movie... which I found quite interesting since in life... in a group of people, isn't there always one person or common thing that draws you all together.   In War Horse, "Joey" truly bonds with everyone he encounters and brings out magic in each relationship.  He changes their lives in a way... that you feel as if you have your own connection with the horse.  The movie is about a friendship between a boy and his horse, their journey together, apart and finally back together.  It's a story of love, hope, loyalty and... determination.

From the opening scenes... pure, raw beauty...of a European countryside that showed a simple life...you knew it was going to be special.    It was almost like you were holding your breath from those beginning moments to the most brutal of scenes of war and turmoil.   I felt like a puppet.    Through-out the movie,  there were some moments, when I laughed.  Some when i felt the tears burning and others when... I was holding my hands over my eyes.   The war scenes were tough for me, especially one particular one that involves the horse.   But... tugging your emotions is what a good movie is truly all about.  This one... was a masterpiece at making you feel.   Taking you from high to low, back to high again... and keeping your attention all the way through.  The movie is long.. but, you're so involved, for me... it didn't feel that way at all.

Another positive for me... it was truly a great drama that stayed honest and genuine.  There were no words thrown in just to be thrown in... so you could get an R rating.  Sometimes, I think... they just add those... to add them.  They have no bearing on the movie whatsoever and it drives me crazy.  This movie to me.. was Steven Spielberg at his best, yet... it was completely different from any other film he's done.  It was genius.   He took a beautiful, chestnut horse... that relayed power, integrity and innocence and told the story through his eyes.   The marketing ... the greatest journey is the one that leads back home... an epic adventure... hit the mark.   

As I thought about the movie afterward, the message hit home in a very profound way.   The message of loyalty, friendship, love... and determination is definitely one that should inspire all of us.  It should motivate each of us in our own lives.  It should teach us a lesson... that the gift of friendship and love is unconditional.   It's an unbreakable bond between two individuals,  that no matter what obstacles stand in our way... we should push forward through them all.  I think we can all speak from experience that when we meet someone, become best of friends or love them... know that it was simply meant to be.  We also know... that no matter what... we will always be with this person at whatever costs.   For Joey... he fought a war to get back to where he belonged.   How many wars have you fought for your friends or someone you love to get back to where you belong?  

 I know that when I came out of this movie... yes... there were tears... but there was this heartfelt feeling of gratitude for reminding me of what's most important.  Yes... I definitely plan to spend more time at the movies enjoying the simple pleasure of being taken away from the real world... if only for a few hours because sometimes... you actually find that you can apply it to your own life.  

So, next time you're stressed out, having problems, needing a break... take in a movie.   It might be just the thing to change your perspective and your outlook.

For me... WAR HORSE.... definitely Oscar worthy.   (The horse should GET the statue!!)  SO... VOTE FOR JOEY!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...