Wednesday, June 20, 2012

TICKLED PINK... Yes, I am!

Most of you that know me... know that regardless of whether I am in a personal conversation or a business one... I am... who I am.  In other words... you cannot take the south out of my "twang or drawl" nor my many southern expressions that I use in everyday conversation.  So today... I was on a conference call... and a colleague was giving an update on a project.     When she finished, several colleagues gave their input and then it was my turn.  The first thing I come out with...is....  "I'm tickled pink!"  Now, for me... If I've heard this once... I've heard it thousands of times, so it really wasn't that strange.  For those on the call, I had to explain exactly what that phrase meant.   I mean, honestly... "tickled pink"... ya'll get that, right?

As I sat there listening in "complete awe" that there were a few on the call who had never heard that.. or even knew what it meant... (did they really think I was tickled pink?)  I realized that ... this is just one of the many southern expressions that I use and never take for granted that some may not understand what I'm talking about whatsoever.  So... it prompted me to ask a question... "Do ya'll think I talk funny? " and I was not referring to the drawl that they all seem to think I have.. which to me...I don't. ...but it led to a whole separate conversation about the southern expressions that people find so endearing.   Several folks told me that when they hear me say "Bless Your Heart", it makes them absolutely wish they lived in a southern state and cracks them up at the same time.  

By the way... I recommended that they all download "Forrest Gump" and "Steel Magnolias" for some definite southern education.  Two of my favorite movies!

So.. now, as I've pondered over my heritage... and the fact that I am truly proud to be from Mississippi and from the South.. I realized that for me... the expressions and sayings are just normal and part of everyday life.  I don't think of them as being "southern" or unique.   I guess, we truly do, have a language of our own and if you've never heard them.. they are "greek".   Like right now.. I am "grinning like a mule eating briars" as I'm writing this post... and I'm sure all of you understood that meant that I am happy, happy... happy with just a smidgeon of smugness thrown in!

I will be quite aware of what I say on future calls, at least,  for a short while, then, of course, I'll forget and revert back to me, being me.    So... for all of you that are not from a southern state.. and are completely clueless as to what this post is all about... here is a short list of  some "southern expressions" that I have heard my entire life. (Trust me.. there are so many more!)  I hope that as you're reading these, they will bring a smile to your face, warm your heart... and make you feel the southern hospitality thats embraced every time someone uses these or any phrase that may seem unfamiliar to you... but somewhere... somebody is whistlin' dixie.

"I'm fixin' to"... (getting prepared to do something) 
"Higher than a Georgia Pine"... (drunk)
"I declare"... (a mild oath) 
"Gullywasher"... (heavy rain)
"Slow as Molasses"... (slow) 
"Ya'll" ... (you all) 
"that put a quiver in my liver"... (awe)
"his elevator doesn't go all the way to the top" (brains missing)
"he's one fry short of a happy meal". (duh..) 
"I got it for a song" (got it cheap) 
"madder than a wet hen" (ANGRY)
"walkin' in tall cotton" (exclamation of happiness)
"if things get any better, I may have to hire someone to help me enjoy it"
"dawg nabbit" (disappointment) 
"for cryin' out loud" (well, i'll be darned)

Thanks for continuing to read my blog, for sharing it and recommending it to anyone who passes your way.  I am deeply grateful and appreciative

... Ya'll come back now!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...