Monday, February 13, 2012

Breaking of Bread.. it's NOT just a southern thing!

Several weeks ago, while traveling,  I was engaged in a conversation with a man I was seated next to on the plane.  He was headed to the same city and we were discussing restaurants and hotels.  This particular topic is truly one that I could engage in all day long.  Seems, that over time, I have developed a passion for both.  As we settled in and took off, our conversation became lively and we now had the two people sitting across from us exchanging with us.   The topic:  "the best meal I ever ate" and why and as a follow-up question, your top five.     

 As I thought about this question (s),  I knew immediately my answers.   Without thinking.   As I thought about my answers, I realized that it wasn't just the food, but the company and the experience that made it special and unique.  So, for this week's post and in honor of "Valentine's Day", I thought I'd share... my top 5 and why!   Breaking bread with people you love and sharing a great experience to me is one of life's greatest joys.  

#1 - ALL TIME - Best Meal -- 
STK, Las Vegas, Nevada
STK is one of the best environments to eat, drink and be absolutely in heaven with the music.   From 80's to current, the playlist has you singing to the beat.  The food is great.  My personal recommendation is the Mushroom Pot Pie.  There are simply no words to describe it... except YUMMY.     Every time, I go to Las Vegas, I eat at this restaurant.   I've been there in small groups and large and the result is the same and it ranks right now... as my best meal.  The combination of wonderful food, company and atmosphere made this a choice that I recommend to everyone!     

#2 -
 Chef Viola's - Atlantic City, New Jersey
Chef Viola's is a hidden gem in a victorian looking house... down in the basement.  I think it seats maybe 30 people.  It's very intimate.   My very first visit was overwhelming.  I didn't really know what to expect and the build up led me to believe... I would be in for a let-down.    Why?  First, you must know somebody to even get a reservation here.  It's not a "published" restaurant and getting a normal reservation is almost impossible.   Second, you must bring your own wine and Third,  you must bring cash only.  Well... since my first visit, I've been fortunate to have been there several times over and every time, my experience is the same --- AMAZING.    The food is surreal.  True Italian at it's best.   My personal pick:  Veal Parm on the bone with the 3 pastas.  Hush my mouth!  Yes, it's that good!  Dessert was an experience all by itself... we ordered two of the legendary "chef" specials even though we were completely STUFFED... and we were not disappointed.   The final moment was the bill arrived in a cigar box... and we were told to just relax and enjoy til' we were ready to go.   

#3 - 
Bern's Steakhouse, Tampa, Florida
Now... when it comes to history, I'm a buff.  I love it and when the opportunity came to visit Bern's, I could not wait.  From the outside, it's nothing special.  It almost looks like a club that is on the wrong side of the tracks.  Once inside,   It has the feel of a 1960's supper club... although some found it a bit gaudy.  I embraced it and loved everything about it.   The food is exceptional and it's pricey, but when you consider what all you get with your meal... it's really worth it.  Steaks are the speciality.  Be sure to ask for a kitchen tour and a look at their "wine cave".   I was in absolute awe.  The most special thing about Bern's... dessert.  They have a special area upstairs and you have to have a reservation for it,  where you are seated in "wine casks" that have been turned into booths for special desserts, coffee, port or whatever your after dinner choices may be.   There's live piano music or in each room, there's your own dial for music of your choice.   Every time I'm in Tampa... this is my choice!  

#4 - 
 Taylor Grocery,  Taylor (Oxford), Mississippi
Now...... ya'll honestly did not think that I wouldn't include something from my hometown in my top 5, did you?  This one is definitely about the food!    Seriously, I've eaten all over the US and nobody tops the catfish at Taylor Grocery.   Taylor has a great menu but their speciality is CATFISH and it's my personal pick.   I also recommend the sausage and cheese plate to start.     Southern traditions are meant to keep and this is my "go-to" restaurant whenever I have company in town or when it's just me and my family from going in or  just wanting to call in something.   From the live music, to the country store look and feel and the electricity that's always in the air, it's THE place to be on any given Friday or Saturday night.   It's my pick of the south, for sure!  By the way, Taylor is a community outside of Oxford, but directions are easy! 

#5
The Polo Lounge, Beverly Hills, CA
This choice in my top 5 is more about the experience.   Polo Lounge is located in the beautiful and pink, Beverly Hills Hotel.  ( I love this hotel and it would be on my top 5 hotel list).    On any given day, any meal, you're sure to be seated next to someone famous.   It's old Hollywood glamour at it's best.    The first time I went, I fell in love with the place and it's become one of my all time favorites.   The atmosphere truly lends to everything you experience.   There were 3 people waiting on us and 5 to help you find the bathroom.   I think we ended up having a 6 or 7 hour dinner each time.  Seriously, did not want it to end.   I've eaten in the lounge area in one of the "reserved" booths, the patio in one of the quaint gazebo type tables and the beautiful crystal dining room and each time,  all experiences were the same.   They each have a different feel but with all, it's very intimate and glamourous.  There's always some "deal-making" happening in the patio area for sure!   They had me at hello.   My personal picks to not miss are the McCarthy salad and tortilla soup.  Delicious.  Also, the Grand M souffle is definitely worth ending your night.   


There are other restaurants that I've enjoyed and shared some great experiences and maybe in another post I'll list some more, but for now... these are my picks of best meals ever eaten.  

Again... life is about the simple things in life.   What could be more simple than breaking bread, sharing a great conversation and enjoying a great bottle of wine.     What is your best meal?  

Bon Appetit!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...