Thursday, January 27, 2011

Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining! Mine had a Little Creole in it!!!

Every cloud has a silver lining.   Isn't that a great phrase?   I mean... it doesn't get anymore positive than that.    For me... this past week has been the silver lining in a cloud hovering over my head for almost a month.    I had been feeling quite under the weather.    Getting shots and seeing doctors is NOT my cup of tea!   So even though I was still feeling a little blah, I loaded up my car and headed to the Big Easy.  N'Awlins... what a great southern city.  Charm, History, Fabulous Restaurants, Voodoo, Magic, Nightlife...and tons of policemen on horses... who to me... look like they are part of the attraction. Sometimes... it makes Vegas look a bit tame!  The spell is one that you can definitely fall under.  

Why the Big Easy?   I attended an annual beverage conference and from the minute I walked into the host hotel... I felt the cloud opening up and the silver lining shining brightly.   Seeing and catching up with old friends and colleagues always makes me feel better.  Going to conferences always inspires me and reawakens an energy that is always there, but sometimes gets lost.   Hearing great speakers who are sharing their insights about industry trends, predictions, and expertise in areas that will only propel all of us in attendance to want to elevate our own knowledge.  

And the perfect backdrop...New Orleans.    A couple of restaurants to note if you're ever there.  Stella.  The atmosphere is intimate and its breath-taking.   White gloved waiters attending to your every need and please make sure you try the risotto (you know  I LOVE it..) that is made with lobster and andouille sausage.  Hush yer' mouth good!!!  The other item on the menu that was really compelling was called The Composition of Carrots.  Truly, a dish making carrots in like 10 different ways. 

Another great choice... Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse.   Very comfortable and relaxed.  The steaks are fabulous.   They do ala carte sides... which if you do family style... is great for sharing.  They also had a fabulous risotto... (wild mushroom)... Are you getting the feeling of how much I love risotto?  Also... great wine choices! 

The last restaurant I will mention this time around is one where we had a great lunch.  Galatoire's!  The grand dame.   It was true New Orleans from the southern hospitality and the distinct drawl that is known there to the seafood gumbo with melt in your mouth garlic bread.   Oh my!  Every dish... that our group had... and there were about 10 of us that day... was simply sensational.   The menu focuses on New Orleans dishes with a little upscale flair, but very moderately priced.   Great spot!  Would go back again and again.  

Finally, what's a trip to New Orleans without some of the nightlife.   It is truly facinating to walk down Bourbon and go from venue to venue, taking in the different menus, the wild and crazy drink names, the  different looks and feel of each venue... all there for your amusement and entertainment.  I was just really glad to see a city that was once down... coming back.   Some of our favorite haunts this trip:  Pat O' Briens (how can  you not say that?); Famous Door... the guitar guy can KICK it...; the jazzhouse in the Royal Sonesta... Big Al Carson and the Bluesmasters were playing and talk about singin' the blues.... the man can DEFINITELY sing the blues!!!!!!!!   The Old Absinthe House and of course, Carousel Bar at Hotel Monteleone.  

All in all... New Orleans was just the silver lining, with that special touch of creole that I needed for feeling so blah these last few weeks.  Even though, I lost my voice and will probably relapse... it was worth the few days of being with so many brilliant people who love a good time.

So... my advice is if you're feeling under the weather, just head south!!

Happy Thursday Ya'll!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...