Monday, January 17, 2011

Meeska, Mouska... Mickey Mouse!

 oooooohhhhhhhh..... Tooodles!!!!!!!  What?  Ya'll don't watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse? 

First, let me say a big ole' thanks to all of you who have been reading my blog.  I appreciate all the notes as well on the blog itself, my inbox, emails, etc.  Keep them coming, please!  I hope that you're finding it enjoyable... maybe something just to take you away from your day for a few minutes.  Feel free to forward it your friends and colleagues.  The more... the merrier!

Many have asked if I would blog on places I've been and the answer is YES!!!!   So... what am I blogging about today...... well... THE MOUSE  of course.   No, not a brown country mouse or a big city rat ... but the one who's ears are an international symbol of "HAPPY". 

For the past two decades plus some.., it has become one of my favorite destinations and truly the happiest and most magical place on earth!  I try to go every two years if not every year --that's how much I love it!  If you haven't guessed by now... I am talking about Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida... Home of Mickey Mouse!    From the moment you step on Disney property, you realize quite quickly that even as an adult, you are captivated.   They have customer service down to a science and there is not one detail that goes unnoticed.  I am sure, like all huge operations, they have their mishaps and frenzied moments, but from the normal eye... who would know?   And the interesting thing is not only do they cater to children of all ages... but they've become a master at catering to adults as well.   From destination weddings, honeymoons, adult trips... it boggles my mind at the marketing genius behind the mouse.    For me... Disney is FIRST CLASS.. in everything they do. 

This past year, I was there 3 times for different reasons, but the most special was in November, when it was Lane Wyatt's very FIRST trip and a cousin got married there.  She had a dream wedding and Lane Wyatt  LOVED it.  He was overwhelmed by everything... and somewhat scared... okay, maybe a bit terrified of the characters if they got toooooooo close... but this trip, truly reminded me that seeing the world through a child's eyes are the blessings in life.   (and if you're wondering who Lane Wyatt is... he is the love of my life - my grand and yeah, I know... I am much toooo young to have one, but I would not trade him for anything in the world.).  Now... don't get me on a rant about that sweet angel, we'll be here all day... so... back to the MOUSE.....

Disney has so many accommodations to choose from these days from value to moderate, deluxe to luxury.   Whatever your budget, there is something that can be quite affordable ... IF you plan in advance.  Don't get me wrong... Disney can be quite expensive, but with preparations...it can be reasonable.    Some of my favorite properties are

Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney Yacht & Beach Club
Grand Floridian
Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary
Wilderness Lodge
Animal Kingdom Lodge

....but honestly, there is not a bad one that I have experienced.  They also have a campground for RV's.    Now... if you don't want to stay on Disney property, where one huge advantage is the shuttle service to all the parks, which includes buses, boats and the monorail, (which to me... is a ride in itself)... there are tons of other hotel options in Orlando.   

The main purpose for visiting WDW is obviously the parks.... there are now 4:   Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Disney Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom plus a ton of water parks, a downtown area with restaurants, shops, DisneyQuest, and tons of other things to keep you entertained.   For years.. I have been waivering back & forth on my favorite park... but every time... I always come back to the Magic Kingdom.   There is something about turning down main street and seeing the castle that always... always.... gets me every single time.   This most recent trip was no different.  I was so excited myself and couldn't wait to see Lane Wyatt's expression.  It was priceless.  PRICELESS. 


Typically, we purchase what is called a "park hopper" pass for how many days we are going to be there... and what this means is we can hop from park to park... within any given day.   Our plan usually is to pick one park per day.... and hop over to another park at night unless there are special activities going on.   Sometimes, we've been known to stay in the same park... all day and night.   If our trip and time is short, we usually have a very tight schedule and strategically pick our parks... but, it can be done.  They have a bunch of options on the tickets and types... so you just have to choose whatever is best for you.  The also have discounts of all kinds - kids, seniors, military, etc.  By doing a little research, you may be able to save a few bucks -- which you'll need for the mandatory Mickey Mouse shaped ice cream!   Each park is broken up into sections... so if you can get a map... you can plan your route.   My family has always has a methodical way that they "work" the park.   Its a system that they have developed over the years and they have it down to a science.   With the addition of  "fast passes" several years ago...it provided them a new challenge to add to their method!  (what are fast passes?  passes that you can get for the most popular attractions that will give you a time to come back with very limited wait.)  

 RIDES... RIDES... AND MORE RIDES!!!!!   Some of my all time favorite rides are:   Pirates of Caribbean, Small world, Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh (all of these are in Magic Kingdom) Rock n Roll Roller Coaster, The Great Movie Ride (Hollywood Studios), Kilimanjaro Safari (think tons of animals out in the wild), Mount Everest, Dinosaur (animal kingdom) and in Epcot... I love spaceship earth (that's the big golf ball looking thing), Nemo and Figment.  Now... my kids (grown adult kids)...well, they would agree with some of my choices but they love test track, SOARIN, Tower of Terror and others that are on my list... ..  Getting the picture?  They are THRILL SEEKERS!   The list of rides is endless...and I don't believe that anyone's list of favorites is ever completely the same. 

Now, also in Epcot.. take plenty of time for the world showcase which is country pavilions where you can eat, drink, enjoy shows, rides and more from those countries.   My favorite countries are France...and England.  I absolutely love the Beatles show.  Its just fab!  Every park has plenty of great shows, 3D attractions, shops and MORE plus one central location to help with your bearings.  (The castle, spaceship earth, the tree of life and the sorcerer's hat are all photo ops galore!)   I would definitely encourage anyone who is going for the first time to experience all of it if you can because once you return home... you will have a lifetime of memories.  

Now.. what's a Disney trip without the beloved Disney Characters.  Tracking them down, getting autographs... its one of our goals every trip... even as adults.  There is just something about being taken back to your childhood or watching your child's eyes light up and squeal with delight.    I will say that this trip... Lane Wyatt grew very fond of Eeyore, Piglet, Woody and Donald Duck.  (yes, Donald!)    He did high five Mickey and Minnie and he loved spotting Goofy... from afar... but Pluto... will be banned forever.  The character got a little over zealous... and pretty much traumatized him, but, it didn't last long.  He was soon completely awed by another one.  (They post locations and times for a lot of the characters, but be on the look out because you never know... when you'll spot one!) 

Disney is also known for having some of the best restaurants around... and depending on your price range... you can find just about anything.  Many of them take reservations, so, plan accordingly if you can especially in the crowded season!   (Just remember.. that if you want to cut your costs... take snacks in with you.)  In our early years of going, I would always have a backpack that had gummies, graham crackers, goldfish, etc. so that when the first ... "I'm hungry" hit and it wasn't lunch or dinner time and you were waiting in a line... I was ready!)   I would highly recommend (especially if you have children) doing at least ONE character dining experiences.  They usually set these up as a buffet type meal where certain characters come out during and take pictures, and visit with the kids.   It's fun and the kids love it.   They have them in all the parks, but... word of caution... MAKE RESERVATIONS EARLY.    Another all time favorite for me is the Hoop-de-doo Musical Revue... its a hoedown with a great show, BBQ Supper and the fixin's and fun.  In Epcot, the restaurants in the country pavilions are definitely worth checking out... Mexico has a great one that I have to go to every single time I am there.  

I would willingly go to Disney anytime... but to me I love all the SPECIAL activities that Disney creates during the holidays.  When we were there in November, we were able to experience  Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and walking down main street with snow falling, hot chocolate in hand, caroling,  the huge parade, character shows and fireworks. Big, huge, delightful FIREWORKS!!!!!   Of course, one thing the Mouse knows how to do is... DECK THE HALLS.  The decorations, the costumes, the characters, the themes... it was magic!!! 

One thing to mention.... There was an extra cost for the admission ticket to this special party so when traveling during the holiday, check to see if there are additional cost for any special events they may be hosting.  I've heard some say that they felt it wasn't worth the extra cost...for me... it was worth every cent.  I LOVE Christmas... and it just put me in the holiday spirit even more than I already was at that point.   We also purchased the special DESSERT PARTY ticket .... because we wanted to experience every single thing we could on this magical night... and it gave us all the desserts we could possibly eat & hot chocolate ... and the best viewing spot in the entire Magic Kingdom for viewing the fireworks and Tinker Bell's flight.  (What's that?  Well, Tinkerbell takes flight before the fireworks starting at the top of the castle and down a wire that goes across the park to Tomorrowland.  Sorta like zip lining - Disney style...)    Disney also has a huge Halloween party in October that is worth a mention and visit.  

When should you go?   The best times that I have personally found thus far... are October, early November, and April.   I have been when it was the most crowded (the week after Christmas, Memorial Day Week, during the summer) and when there was NO wait for any ride.  But regardless of when you go, again, its about doing a little research and familiarizing yourself so that when you get there... you at least thought you had a plan.  Now... don't get me wrong... I am not an expert on Disney by any means.  There are plenty of folks who are by far more Disney-educated than me... but I am giving just my personal thoughts and opinions. 

I have been fortunate to have been to both Disneyworld, Disneyland as well as experience the Disney Cruise Line and every single experience has never been a disappointment.   (I will have another blog on the cruiseline... which to me is the top of the tier.) DisneyWorld is still my all time favorite, with the cruise line a very close second.   They also have a land and sea package where you can experience the best of both worlds.   The key is to really take time to plan your trip, especially if its your first time.   They have a free DVD that they will send you and there are tons of books that might be helpful.   One that I always used to purchase was The Official Guide to Disneyworld and it really helped me in the early days.  (Gosh... that seems sooooo long ago.)   The Disney website can also assist as well... and sometimes they have special offerings on it.

So... if you're looking for a great place to go where its warm and sunny (most of the time, although when we were there in November, at night... it got downright cold) plus most airlines offer really great deals into Orlando... and if you're driving, navigation is fairly easy once you get there.  The MOUSE offers plenty to do, great food,  lots of friendly characters, FIREWORKS... did I mention the FIREWORKS ????

If you want tons of memories that will last a lifetime... choose a Disney vacation.  Planning is the key!   Kids.... or no kids... I love it..  it never gets old.  I keep thinking everytime I plan a trip there... will the magic be gone?  .... and everytime I arrive... with a broad smile... the answer is ... THE MAGIC IS ALIVE AND WELL.

Thanks, Mickey!  See ya real soon!!!!  (Wonder what dates in 2011 look good?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...