Monday, June 6, 2011

When the Trust is Broken...

Trust.  A key element in all relationships - both professional and personal.   Trust is an emotional act where you allow others to see your vulnerable side with belief that they will not take advantage of you.   Trust is a logical act as well, where you have certain expectations and have faith that those expectations will be returned.   Trust will either make or break a relationship.

Trust doesn't happen overnight.  There's no magic potion that you drink or sprinkle and it's there.  Trust grows day after day and there's no set number of days when it will happen.  Through friendship, love, attention, respect and effort - trust is earned.  Its a level of comfort and companionship that you have reached with another person.    Once you have it with another individual - you know it and most of all, they know it.     There are varying levels of trust and past experiences can hinder your ability and willingness to trust, but if you are one of the lucky few, it can change your life both in a personal and professional way.

For me, the best feeling in the world is when someone says to me - I trust you completely.   Its a responsibility and one that I take very seriously, both in business and in my personal life.   Trust is something that I hold very dear to my heart and I try to put forth 150% effort into every relationship that I value.   I work on a daily basis to earn and keep the trust that I have been given.   I feel it is a precious and fragile gift from another person.  

In life, we've all had people come and go who have enhanced and changed our lives for good, bad or ugly.   We've all had people who have earned our trust and we gave it willingly back to them.  What happens when the trust is broken?    From my own experience, I know that in both business and personal relationships - breaking of trust totally taints our image of every action, word and intent - to the point where we feel we can no longer be in a relationship the same way or do business the same way.   Can we?     How do you regain and rebuild trust once it's broken?  Is it possible? 

I am by no means an expert in psychology or human emotions.   I am actually not an expert in anything.   I work hard and share my passion with those I meet, but I am definitely not an expert.   I am a small town Mississippi girl who writes from the heart and from personal experiences.  I've spent the past 25 years honing my craft and trying to find my way in the world.  I've had some successes and I have had my fair share of failures.   Through it all,  I know that my greatest asset is my relationships.

From my own experiences, communication is the most important step.  Honestly also plays a huge role in the rebuilding process.   Compassion, empathy and understanding play yet another.   In every relationship, there are two individuals who willingly committed to it and those same two individuals have to be just as committed to get it back.  It won't be an easy process, but with complete effort, it can be regained.     (Afterall, wasn't there a reason you trusted this person in the first place?  Aren't we all allowed a mis-step?)   I believe this to a certain degree and know that I have given friends and colleagues second and third chances...and have not lived to regret it.

 What do you do if the trust is broken over and over again?   Obviously, its time to re-evaluate whether or not the relationship was ever genuine in the first place.  I do know and truly believe that all of our failures and set-backs help us to become stronger and better.   They serve as reminders of what's important and what it takes to enjoy a happy and fulfilled life.    I also know that rebuilding of trust in both a business and personal sense takes being open minded  enough to allow yourself to forgive.    

Many times, when the trust is broken, people take the approach of doing nothing.  They just sit and wait to see what the other person is going to do.   For me, this does nothing to help, AND only makes the situation worse.   I strongly believe that whatever you want in life, you must be willing to put forth the effort into getting it.   You must be open, willing and committed to getting back what you lost.   We aren't all psychics and can't read minds, so again, communication is absolutely essential to re-connecting. 

Most of all, when the trust is broken, take responsibility.  In business or in life, we all want to know that the other person is willing to stand up and say that they were wrong and truly mean it.   Be willing to tell the other person what is going to be different this time and know that you are going to have to work hard and put forth much more effort to get the trust back.

Trust is THE foundation of any great relationship in business and with our family and friends.  I once read, that  without trust, a relationship is like a car on blocks. It isn’t going anywhere… and after a while, it will rust and deteriorate.   When the trust is broken,  YOU hold the keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...