Thursday, June 30, 2011

Red, White and Blue - Standing Tall and True!


And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.



Happy Birthday, America!  Red, White and Blue, standing tall and true!  As the dog days of summer begin, it truly is one of my favorite times of year.  Mind you, not because of the rising temperatures, either.   There is something very moving about a country coming together once a year to celebrate our nation's birth.   Celebrations all across America from small towns to big cities will include pagentry, patriotism and fellowship.  Firework extravaganza's, parades, political rallies, BBQ's, pool time, watermelon, homemade ice cream and more... family and friends will come together for fun, laughter and gratefulness that we live in the land of the free and home of the brave.  

Every time I hear Lee Greenwood's version of God Bless the USA, tears well up in my eyes.   The lyrics and the message of this song truly represent what America is all about to me.   There are many other songs that are played through-out the day, but for me, this is the one that I feel moved by every single time.  

Our forefathers signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and John Adams wrote a letter to his wife, Abigail, the day prior,  that it would become a day of great pride, respect and celebrated by succeeding generations as a great festival.  He declared that it should be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one end of this continent to the other.   He had such an insight to know that the cost to the United States to maintain and defend her freedom, her declaration would not come without a cost.

As I think about his thoughts in this letter and how our country has united and come together as a nation, I feel a connection to the past and to our history.  Growing up, at one time or another, we all  had to memorize part of the preamble.   

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."  Declaration of Independence

There are some things that your history teachers taught you that have stayed with you.  

It goes without saying, that you cannot celebrate the fourth of July without thinking about all of the men and women in uniform.  It doesn't get more American than that!   Those who are sacrificing and serving their country, along with their families, so that we may all enjoy the freedoms and liberties on the homeland.   Holidays are especially hard on military families and it always touches me in a deep and profound way when we show respect to those who willingly serve our great country.
  
One of my fondest memories of this holiday was when I had taken my parents on a trip to Branson some  years ago.  Both of my parents loved going there and seeing the shows.  It always made me feel so good to take them.   We were at one of the shows where they were doing a special "fourth" program and they asked all of the military to stand.  My dad who was a veteran, having served in the US Airforce...  proudly stood with a whole room full of others.   They sang a complete tribute  -- the Armed Forces medley --- Army, Airforce, Marines, Navy... and tears sprang to my Dad's eyes and to many of those standing.   I looked at him and smiled and his only words were... Be Proud.   Somehow in that moment, I understood what being an American was all about in a very different and personal way than I ever had before.   I looked around at all of these different men and women standing, each with pride in their heart for a country they had served and one that they truly loved.  It was probably one of the most patriotic moments I've ever felt.    

So, on Monday, I will join my Clampett family and we'll join the rest the nation celebrating America's birthday.  We will give it the best pomp and circumstance we have in us and we'll let our fireworks shine brightly... and far in the distance, we'll see even bigger ones and know that our neighbors are standing just as tall and showing their red, white and blue too.

Have a blessed and safe holiday!  

From the lakes of Minnesota,
to the hills of Tennessee.
Across the plains of Texas,
From sea to shining sea.

From Detroit down to Houston,
and New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart,
and its time we stand and say.

That I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.


No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...