Monday, July 25, 2011

Kudos to the Creative Minds of.... what else, DRINKS!

Have you ever walked into a restaurant or bar and felt overwhelmed by the menu choices?   I mean, honestly, some of the drink menus today are pages and pages of incredible sounding recipes that seem to "over stimulate" your mind, body and soul.  Do you feel your palate salivating at the sound of some of the tasty creations?  Have you ever thought about who created those concoctions?   

This past week,  I was one of the many THOUSANDS to attend Tales of the Cocktail, an annual festival that is held in New Orleans every year.  If you haven't heard of it or you haven't been - place it on your calendar!   Every July,  it's a gathering like no other.

Among those attending were not only regular folks like you and me who just love to imbibe, but, the elite de' elite in the hospitality business.  The creators of all of those "tempting drink creations" on menus nationwide - yes, I am referring to the bartenders and mixologists from all across the US.

Whoever thinks that these guys and girls aren't at the top of their game are just WRONG.   I am so impressed every single day by their passion, their intensity, their fun for life, but most of all, their work ethics!  They create, develop, share and most of all, ENJOY every second doing it.  They have elevated the craft of being behind the bar to a completely new level. 

TOTC (shortened version) has become one of the leading festivals in the US, in the hospitality industry, sharing the history of the cocktail, tasting rooms, spirited dinners, networking and friendships, all while being surrounded and embraced by the City of New Orleans.  It simply doesn't get much better.   My hat is completely off to Ann (the founder and aka Mrs. Cocktail) , who has done an amazing job since the very first one.   Next year, they will be celebrating their 10th anniversary and I know that it will be even bigger and better!  Here's the website:   www.talesofthecocktail.com, so please check it out and put it on your radar!   


I'm sure that I am not alone in my dilemma when it comes to ordering cocktails.   I have never been a self professed expert, just someone who enjoys a good one.   I have friends who can look at the menu and immediately determine in their mind which one,  just by the description,   is going to taste fabulous on their palate.   For me, it just isn't that easy, so,when I have an opportunity to converse with the creators, I am  simply in awe.  

In conversations with them, I have really learned so much about ordering and even understanding how to order.  They all agree, that most of the time,  they have a lot of people who come in and don't really know what they want to drink - so it's their job to create something delectable.   What I found is that they do this by simply engaging in conversation and asking a few questions?  Do you like sweet flavors?   Salty?  Are you partial to exotic?    Or sometimes, they say, let me create something for you and if you don't like it, we'll find something else and they work their magic on a drink that they have been given rave reviews for in the past.


I am sure that there are tons of venues across the country with this kind of personal touch and I hope to experience each and every one of them.   I love people and when you run across somebody who shares the same type of passion as you do, it's just a wonderful experience, which is why, this past week, seeing and being around all of these talented and creative individuals had me GIDDY as a school girl.  (We all know how many years ago that was, don't we? )  They are true professionals who believe in their work, share their passion with each and every one of us every single time we go into their establishments and along the way... we've found and made a new friend.  Think about your favorite local hang-out... you go in, they know you by name, know what you like to drink... maybe that Cheers mentality wasn't so bad after all.    

As I've thought about some of my favorite spots and people, I realized that they all had one thing in common - their understanding of the customer experience while also having the ability and talent to create something wonderful.   Its a dynamic combination and every time I see it, I am just as impressed as the time before.  It truly never gets old!   

To all of my friends in this profession and to those I have yet to meet, Cheers to each and every one of you and I really hope to see all of you before next July in New Orleans!

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...