Thursday, August 4, 2011

Same old dog... a bunch of new tricks!


About a year ago, I posted this blog in another situation.  As I found myself reflecting on new opportunities, I found myself led back to it... and taking time to revise it and re-write it, I found that it still fits everything I am feeling today.    I recently watched the movie, The Company Men starring Ben Affleck, Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones and others.   It hit home in many ways.  It allowed me to take a good hard look at myself and where I want to be... and to reach deep inside to discover what I truly wanted in regards to my career as well as what's really important in life.   It's funny, how at the oddest times, we relate to a movie, a song or book... that moves us to the point of finally taking chances on ourselves.   
How many times have you heard the phrase, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks”?   When starting on any new journey, whether personal or professional... you always have some apprehension.  Butterflies that seem to appear when you least expect them... although at times, they can be caused from excitement and anticipation.   In my own personal situation, leaving a job 3 years ago that I loved and launching myself into a whole new arena was frightening and yet, I knew at the time, it was definitely the right direction I needed to take.   Sitting here, 3 years later, I absolutely know that it was the right decision.    I knew going into a new situation that there would be areas of expertise that I did not have nor felt I would ever have, but, I also felt that I could gain enough knowledge to learn enough to get by or surround myself with enough people who did have the expertise.   We don't always make the right decisions and when we realize that we have made a bad one, we have to be strong enough to admit it and get back on the right path.   
It can be quite scary embarking on a new adventure.    Where to begin?   How do you find your niche that allows you to become a viable entity in a new market or to continue to be relevant in an industry that you still wanted to be part of - just in a new way.   For me,    as I began the process of launching my consulting company… this old proverb came to mind endless times and … there were days, when I would ask myself could this really be true?  Am I too old to learn something new?   Will I be able to have any success going forward?  The questions were endless.     I thought that I had found the answers a year or so ago... only to discover, that I was wrong.   I was angry with myself for allowing myself to believe in something that did not come to fruition in the way that I had expected or believed.   I realize now, that without risks, we don't learn.  Without learning, we remain the same.   In hindsight, everything happens for a reason and even though the answers I thought I had were wrong, I've learned some valuable insights along the way.   I am still seeking the answers, but feel I am on the right path to gaining them.   
I have found that the answer is simple to the old proverb...…no, you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but you can teach him alternative ways of doing the ones he already knows.   My journey has allowed me to take the things that I already knew and find a way of adapting and making them work in a new situation.  Sales are sales… no matter what you are selling and my philosophy has always been sell yourself, sell your company and then finally, sell your product.  Marketing is marketing… keep the messaging simple, on target  with your audience and don’t be afraid to try something new.   Relationships are still the most viable way to get things done in any situation, so hold them close and know that they are your most valuable asset.  Being old, doesn't mean being worn out.   I've often heard many who changed careers mid-stream, mid-life say that the first year afterwards was the scariest of their lives.   I absolutely understand that feeling.   I found that what helped me the most was surrounding myself with the right people has made all the difference in the world.   People who know the business or situation you're trying to get into and learning from them and understanding how to take your own area of expertise and apply their knowledge to it can help propel you into a brand new arena with success.     So, with these things that I did know… I’ve taken a step back… and just re-adjusted the them to fit my new arena.   Wherever my path takes me, I know that regardless of how I get there, I'm not too old to try.   I'm not too old to learn and I am certainly not too old to have the enthusiasm and energy needed to create and find success.   
After breaking it down… the journey did not seem nearly as scary and I found that… maybe the old proverb was just a way of providing an excuse for those who don’t want to try.   And for those of you, who like me contemplate change and reaching for your own happiness  - my word of advice is that without taking risk you won't ever know what could be... without dreaming and reaching for the stars, you'll never achieve the one thing that could completely fulfill your life.   At times, I've been afraid and taken the safe route.   I realize now, I was letting myself down by not going for what I truly wanted.   Every day, I become more familiar with my dreams and goals.   I work diligently to stay true to myself and to understand what it is I truly seek.   When, I'm feeling like my time has come and gone,  I take it one step at a time.  I reflect on all the great successes I've had and look forward to those I've yet to meet.   Challenges will come and go, but it's the hunt in finding the perfect one for me that keeps me motivated.  
So next time someone tells me… you can’t teach an old dog new tricks… I think I’ll smile and say… SURE, you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...