Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Outrage at The Verdict!

America reacts with shock, disgust and anger.   How could the judicial system fail this badly?  Every news outlet is carrying the same message.  

As I sit here tonight, my heart is heavy and I have all of the same emotions.    My blog this week was originally going to be on value in the workplace, which i will post later... but I feel compelled to write about my disappointment in the verdict that was rendered earlier.    As a mother,  I feel such a sense of loss because the real victim in all of this chaos -  is the child.  

I don't know these people nor do I try to cast judgement, but in this case, I feel an extreme injustice was done.   I wasn't convinced that they would convict her of the highest charge, but to allow her to walk completely free... with basically a slap on the wrist for lying and impeding an investigation is a travesty.       It's a shame and what bothers me is what message this is going to ring through-out America.     I fully believe in innocent until proven guilty, but clearly, something went wrong today.  

To watch the defense team pop the corks on champagne after winning this case was completely disgusting.   I realize that both sides of attorneys have put in countless of hours, but to have this public display shows complete lack of respect.   If they felt the need to celebrate "their win", why couldn't they have done it with a little more dignity and privacy.  

I, like many others across the country, have been somewhat intrigued by this entire case from the time the child disappeared 3 years ago to today's verdict.  There was so much media coverage on it - you felt drawn to it, even though, these type of incidents probably happen more often than not, and aren't ever publicized.   For the last month, I have tuned in to see the trial updates trying to understand what could have possibly happened.   Anytime, a child is involved, its like a dagger has been inflicted into the heart - whether you know them or not.  It's hard not to have any emotion or to not care.

Through-out the trial, I've discussed my views on this case with several of my friends.   Actually, we've had on-going debates about the evidence, the prosecution's approach and of course, the crazy and unbelievable stories that the defense put forth.  Everybody had different theories and ideas, but even with the difference in opinions, we all believed she was guilty.   Everybody saw that there was no smoking "gun" but felt that the prosecution had enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she clearly carries the guilt of the child being gone - especially if you use common sense.

What puzzles me tonight is how these 12 jurors came to the verdict that they did?   It was almost if their mind was already made up before they got in the courtroom.   The other question I have... is how will they lay down to sleep at night,  knowing that they allowed her to go free.  

Based on the testimony and the media coverage, a child is missing and the mother does not report it for 31 days, yet, she goes out partying, drinking and never once mentioning the child.   She never showed one ounce of grief or sense of loss for her child based on the testimony.  The child's remains were found in a swamp.  How does this happen?   Its something that I simply cannot fathom.   If it were an accident, how can you NOT respect your child enough to provide a proper burial?   To.. throw them out like they were garbage is the most senseless and cruel thing I've ever heard.  How does a jury of 12 NOT connect the dots?  How does a jury of 12 NOT use common sense in the evidence presented?  

When the verdict was rendered, watching, I was angry.   She smiled like a cheshire cat knowing that she had just gotten away with murdering her own child.   I posted on Facebook my shock and watched as other comments came in expressing the same anger, shock and just disbelief.  After I got home from work... I found that everyone across the nation, was feeling the same emotions.   Our judicial system failed today.

I can only pray that she is NOT allowed to make any money off of this - that America will not engage in "paying" her for a story or movie.   By "rewarding her monetarily", would be the second travesty that occurs in all of this.  

As the mother lays in her jail cell tonight, all I can personally hope is that the nightmares continue to haunt her until she has her real judgement day.   One day... she definitely will have it and at that time, there will be justice for the child.  

1 comment:

  1. Well said. The problem is this new "CSI generation" that thinks all cases have to have physical evidence. What people don't realize is that most cases are circumstantial. They present an argument (case) that makes the accused the most likely person to have committed the crime, beyond a reasonable doubt. People just don't understand that these cases are made every day in our legal system. There is rarely a 'smoking gun' or DNA.

    ReplyDelete

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...