Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Simply Livin' - My Best of the Best!

I've had a lot of people ask me about my Simply Livin' list that is located on my blog page.   It's my personal "best of the best" list and each time I find a new gem or something that just blows me away, it gets added to my list.  Last week I was in a conversation with some really good friends and we were discussing this list of mine.   Many wanted to know how I choose what goes on my list, why it's there, and so on... so, this week, I thought I would expand on a few of my personal "Simply Livin'" things.  There's no way, I can blog about all of them or we'd really be here... all day.  So... I've selected some of the highlights and the way I look at it,  I guess it's a take off of Oprah's favorite things.... with the only difference being... I do not have that kind of power!  (Go figure... I mean, we are both from Mississippi, right?)

First, let me say thank you again to everyone who clicks and takes time to read,  each time I post a blog.  I just surpassed 2000 reads and I am thrilled!  When I decided to write this blog, I wasn't sure I would have 10 people who would be interested in what I might write about... so needless to say, I am quite humbled.  Also... saying a special thanks that my friends came out okay in the Northeast.  I was glued to the weather channel waiting on news.

Now... let's get to it.  Simply Livin!  First, the name for my list came about because as I was off on one of my adventures... I realized that life is so precious and short and that we need to grasp it.   Therefore, my list came to life... because I believe in "simply livin" day to day!

The first thing on my list is the nickname for my family.  "The Clampetts".   I enjoy every moment that I spend with them and there is never a dull moment.  Our nickname came about many years ago... on one of our first trips together... it was like a free-for-all.   You would have thought that we had never been anywhere in our entire lives.    So, if you haven't given your family a nick-name.. you should.  It will make for some great memories!

30-A and Seaside, Seaside, Seaside! - My favorite coastal community, affectionately known, as the Redneck Rivieria.   This unique community takes you back to yesteryear, when time seems to stop.  The beach, music on the lawn, bicycles as the primary mode of transportation, long walks, and just taking time to enjoy the simplicity life has to offer.   There are so many eclectic restaurants, shops and stops along 30-A, there is no way to name the all... it's just worth the trip to stop at every one of them!  (By the way... there was a Jim Carrey movie filmed there... do you know which one it was?)

There are several restaurants on my list and each for different reasons.   Bern's Steakhouse has the absolute dessert experience!  Chef Voila's in Atlantic City would be ranked as my all time favorite epicurean experience in regards to the atmosphere and food. (I really hope they are okay from the hurricane).   Wow!  Geno's Pizza in Chicago... absolutely, hands down the best pizza I have ever eaten!  Best Catfish.... right here locally, for me - Taylor Grocery.   It's been written up in Southern Living and it was also featured on one of the cooking channels.  Fish Bones in Orlando is one of my "must stops" everytime I go.   I love the Chilean Sea Bass there.   Best chain experience for me was at Capital Grille in Las Vegas.   Over the top service overlooking the strip!  New to my list... and definitely in my top 3 - STK at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas!  There is something surreal about eating fabulous food and listening to the 80's!  The Bombay Club in New Orleans has the best filet and one of the most extensive martini menu's known on the planet.  TraVigne out in St. Helena, CA is a must stop for their charming patio and their eclectic menu.    Okay... now that you're starving... , what are some of your favorites?

As I've traveled, I have really found some hidden gems across the US as far as hotels.   The Dana Hotel & Spa in Chicago tops the list.   (The showers are worth the price of admission!)   Hotel ZaZa is a new addition... hip, trendy and the next "IT" GIRL of hotel land!  In Las Vegas, The Cosmopolitan and Encore top my list of favorites!   My best luxury experience was at The Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills and my favorite resort would have to be the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas.  (WOW!).  There are many other properties that have impressed me but sometimes its the overall experience that makes my list.  

Tag Hauer is my favorite watch!  I don't know how I ever survived before I was fortunate to own one, but I absolutely adore mine!

Simply Livin' doesn't get much better than traveling and obviously for me, DISNEYWORLD tops my list.    Hello Mickey!  It's a rule in my family... every 2 years is a must... and for me, personally, I have to go every year!  Just to get my fix!  I am a disney fanatic!  I've stayed at all of the Disney properties and find that I do have a few favorites --- Grand Floridian, Disney's Boardwalk Villas, Wildness Lodge and the new villas at Animal Kingdom.  (Yes... I am worse than the kids!) I actually wrote a whole blog about the Mouse!

For complete grown up time --- Napa Valley... beautiful, peaceful, relaxing and not to mention wine.  Two of my favorite spots for sharing a glass of vino and watching the sunset - Auberge' du Soleil and Solange Calistoga Resort... both located off Silvarado Trail.  It simply does NOT get any better.  Did I mention the wine?  Two recent finds that really impressed me - Raymond Estates Crystal Room - do the DIVINE experience and Rubicon Estates.  Rubicon is one of the most gorgeous properties in the Valley.   My overall favorite tasting - Sawyer.  (They simply do not have one single bad wine!)

One of the best travel trips I've taken was to Savannah, Georgia.   Midnight of Garden and Evil Tour is a MUST.   Eating at The Pink House, another must.   Yum.   Another favorite, Asheville/Blowing Rock in North Carolina. Something special about the Blue Ridge Mountains and make sure you tour the home of the Vanderbilts - The Biltmore.   Best general store in the land - MAST General Store.  

Another simply livin that I cannot live without is my KEURIG.   What a discovery and the best part of waking up... each and every day.  I love the simplicity, ease and all of the different flavors at my fingertips at any given moment of every day.   When I first got mine, they were relatively unknown... now... they are all the rage!

Sports!  I am a sports enthusiast!  Love me some college football, particularly SEC football... and my beloved Ole Miss Rebels.   I love pro football and was estatic when the lock-out finally came to an agreement.  New York Giants, New Orleans Saints are both my faves, although I do find myself pulling for Peyton at times.   MLB Baseball... the Yankees and Cardinals.   I'm not an avid fan of basketball, but find myself watching during the play-offs.

My favorite thing to relax... hot stone massages, which ironically is humorous considering many years ago, my first experience was absolutely terrifying. Just ask my best friend about my time at the Arlington in Hot Springs, AR and Bertha.  I promise it would be great for a laugh or two... probably twenty!  My favorite spa is located in Las Vegas at the Venetian - Canyon Ranch.   I'm also a big fan of Qua at Caesars.  

Another thing on my "Simply Livin" list one of my all time favorite television shows.  I hardly ever really watch tv, but I am 100% addicted to NCIS.   I have watched from day one... and find it to be one of the most compelling shows on television.  Somehow, I find myself relating to all of the characters and even find that some of my friends relate to them as well.   Great television!

I believe that everyone should make a list of all of their favorite things... and relish the memories.  Sharing with others is the best referral you could give.   For me, it simply doesn't get any better than sharing special moments with special people in your life.   I've been blessed to have had that opportunity and each time, I take a deep breath and know that in this moment, I am "SIMPLY LIVIN".









No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...