Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What First Impression Do You Make?

This week, I'm on a crusade for first impressions.   I guess its' been on my mind since my last plane ride.   There were many times when you sat in first class and the folks around you were very well dressed businessmen and women who actually took time to dress.  Nowadays, I am shocked that some people actually wear some of the things that they do out in public and they are sitting in first class.   Maybe it's not fair to judge a book by it's cover, but, isn't there such a thing as common sense?  

To me, a first impression is the last impression.   I realize that many people don't believe in it while others feel very strongly about it.   I am one of those people who feel that making a good first impression is one way to open doors to opportunities and have long lasting relationships.  I guess I just feel like it's hard to recover from a bad first impression because the image is already built up in your mind.    


When you go out into the world to make your own way, life is an adventure and you never know who you're going to meet or how they may impact your life somewhere down the line. If you go about your daily life without ever caring what you look like or smell like, then in all likelihood, success is not going to cross your path anytime soon.    If you take time each and every day to actually care about your appearance, then chances are you'll be taken a bit more serious and you'll actually feel better about it.   Who knows who the person sitting next to you on the airplane might be?  

Many years ago,  (during my first career), I had conversations with several of my colleagues on first impressions.   At the time, I was doing a number of interviews and honestly, I was shocked at some of the appearances.  What really made it difficult was the fact that those who were applying for positions were more than qualified for the job - so, it was something that I really couldn't comprehend.   I'm not saying that you should go out and spend boo-koodles of dollars on something new every time you have an interview or important event, but what I am saying, is that in my personal opinion - taking time to be groomed, pressed clothing and making the effort goes a long way.

Traveling can be tiring and I certainly understand the need to be comfortable, but in today's society, you can actually dress up jeans.   You don't have to look like you just rolled out of bed and never picked up the comb.   (And yes, I am one of those people who is afraid to go out running errands without getting fully dressed because I'm worried of who's going to see me. )  Yes, I have done it and every time, I run into someone and feel so embarrassed that I have on my favorite run-down t-shirt and such.

In business, I have found that when you are dressed and groomed, you are taken more seriously.   I know that clothes don't define a person, but again, if you lose them with the first impression, you aren't likely to gain them back, regardless of how good you are at what you do.   I have always found that by putting my best foot forward in every meeting has allowed me the opportunity to let people get to know me and it made developing a relationship easier.   I recently read an article where experts were saying  that when you go in a meeting and talk to a new person, within a few seconds of your meeting you have been assessed. This assessment can be even at a glimpse.

Isn't it true of yourself that when you look at people for the  first time, you evaluate their appearance, behaviors,  ways and styles; each and every thing from head to toe.   Aren't you watching  conduct, characteristics, body-gestures and even grooming and outfits?   From  accessories like jewelry, watch, and even their briefcase?

Within a few moments of your first glimpse you have a  long lasting image of the other person.   Either that person has won you over or you may be disheartened.  We live in a much more relaxed society than we once did and with the uncertain economic times, it's easy to get depressed and not care.  I guess the reality is when you stop caring, you are holding your ownself back from success.   Sometimes, when I'm down and don't feel like getting dressed... I know that my whole disposition is different.   We all go through days where we just want to stay in our pj's and spend the day lounging around.  (And isn't that exactly what we do on those days... lounge around?)   Should we take this attitude when we travel?  When we have an important meeting? If nothing else, shouldn't we have some respect for others and just take time to look appropriate? 

I guess I reflect on the people that I have always taken 2 or 3 looks at and thought to myself, wow, they are successful or... to the other spectrum... what on earth were they thinking?   You either have a warm, fuzzy feeling about someone from their first impression or you immediately think, they need to get a life.   (Don't say that you haven't done it... we all have done it!)

Isn't it worth the time and effort each and every day because yes, first impressions do make a difference.    What first impression do you make?   Take a few moments and ponder it, your answer might shock you.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...