Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Where's that Exuberant Bunny When You Need Him?

Have you ever watched that energizer bunny commercial and thought... man, do I need those batteries?  How does he just keep going and going and going and..... Well, right now... I could use some new batteries to recharge.

Lately, I've been in a slump.  I am not sure when it happened or how... I just know that I'm having a hard time, getting out of it.   It feels like I'm angry all the time,  feels like I've aged 20 years in less than a month, my body is out of whack and its adapted an entirely new personality.  Who is this person in this body? How did you get in here?   Sorta a cross between alien and the exorcist.   Okay... maybe not that bad, but, honestly, I don't like the way it feels.

Life can be a frenzy and at times, we simply forget to breathe.  (Or I do anyway.)  We get so caught up in the whirlwind of our lives... that we don't realize how stressed we are until we are buried.  

Our routines take up every minute in a 24 hour day.   We get up, either already rushing or we end up that way.  We drive to work spending the time contemplating how we are going to get everything done or making use of the time while driving to get on the phone and make appointments whether doctor, dentist or something for the kids.  (One good thing in my favor, my kids are grown... they can make their own appointments, but somehow, even with that.. the time is used for something.)  We go to work, spend our day on the computer, the phone, dealing with problems or challenges, interacting with people and trying to maintain some semblance of balance.   We go home, cook dinner, text, facebook, help with homework, get our "to-do" list at home done and take care of any extracurricular activities that are on the calendar for the day.   It seems that sometimes we get so caught up in everything that has to be done... that by the time you're supposed to go to bed,  your brain simply won't shut off which leads to sleepless nights.   For me, insomnia has become part of my life for so long... I'm not sure what would happen if it went away.  It seems like a never ending cycle.   After about 6-7 days... I have to break out the sleep assist medications just so I can get some rest.  

Everybody has times in their lives when they simply need to stop and rejuvenate with whatever methods work for them.   I've thought about this a lot lately, so I began to research to come up with a list of things that are suppose to help.  I never realized that recharging your batteries actually has a list of how to do it.   Some things on the list... take a deep breath, go outside for fresh air, take a long hot bath, listen to some inspiring music, pet an animal, have lunch with someone you love, laugh loudly and hard.... and so many more.    How many of these actually work?  I'm not sure, but I intend to try each and every one until I find the right combination.   I guess the reality is we all have moments in our lives when we get worn down and there's only one person who can truly get you out of a slump.  Yourself.   Yes, it helps to have the support of family and friends, but at the end of the day... we all are responsible for our own happiness, our own actions and the end result is because of our ability to find balance in our lives.  

Working your way out of a slump is just like everything else, there will be up's and downs, but with effort and focus, I will find that happy place that sets the world back right again.   Until then, all I can do is keep looking to find what works.  I know that my life has been filled with tons of stress lately, many changes and challenges and times when I just wanted to give up.  Haven't we all felt like that at one time or another?   I know that recently my niece posted on her facebook page that she just wanted to drop out of college.  Obviously, she was having a bad day because that is not an option.   So, she had to get up, dust herself off and get right back in the groove.  

I'm the same way... I know that deep down I'm not a person who gives up even though at the moment, I feel like the scoreboard reads - Life 4 Me 0.  First, I'm much too competitive and secondly, when you give up, you let all the stress and strain in your life win.   They may get ahead and get the best of you, but it's up to you, to stay strong and come out on top.

I guess it leads me back to my own advice.... stop and smell the roses.   I thought I had my life in a good rhythm and I was learning to relax and enjoy.  Seems lately, old habits have crept back and taken over, but now that I have identified my slump, voiced it out loud and come up with a strategy... I am sure to pull myself out of the semi-black hole.

...in the meantime,  I'm on the look-out for that overactive bunny who has boundless energy and never stops.  If you find him, could you send him my way and hopefully by then, all I will need to do is place him in a locked room, turn off his drum and hold him hostage until I need him again.  



"If you neglect to recharge a battery, it dies. And if you run full speed ahead without stopping for water, you lose momentum to finish the race."  Oprah Winfrey











No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...