Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Art of Conversation... what an Exchange!

Seems I've been slacking on the writing lately.... but not without good reason.   The last 6-8 weeks have been hectic and busy focusing on a brand new event for the hospitality industry.  Yes... a new launch.... a new concept and, YES...  it was amazing.  Hospitality Business Exchange.  From start to finish... the goal never changed in creating and developing something unique for the industry.   The event focused on one-on-one meetings, networking and an exchange of ideas, insights and information.   With every new venture or idea, you're always hoping for the best... and with this dynamic concept... my fingers and toes have been crossed for quite awhile.

The hard work, effort, stress and craziness was all worth it when it was all said and done.  More than 80 food and beverage professionals gathered in a luxurious resort for 2 1/2 days where business became productive, simple and back to the basics.  Isn't it amazing that we all forget the key element of success?  We get so wrapped up in closing the sale or meeting our goals, but we forget the real reward in our business or personal lives.  Relationships.    Conversation.   Well... I think the exchange accomplished both in a great way!

I have to give a huge shout-out to those dear friends, suppliers, buyers... who from start to finish... helped with ideas and topics.  They had no idea how it would all turn out.. but their belief that I could pull this off never waivered.   Those that were somewhat doubtful, but you hung in there with me anyway... I'm so very glad you did.   It was not an easy journey by any means...but... we made it!

The event was dubbed "beta-test" by me early on in the process... it was something completely new to me as well as those we were trying to convince that it would be the greatest thing since the invention of the ipod.. ipad... iphone4?   (You get the point!)    So... with fresh ideas, a determination and passion that many have seen from me in the days of yesteryear... our goal was to launch a new event in a totally new format that centered around face-to-face.   That's right.. one-on-one!     Relationships and Conversation.   The other focus... keep it small.   Don't try to get every single person you can.  Make it exclusive and intimate.  (yep...that's practically unheard of, I know.)

 Imagine that... an event where SMALL is the NEW BIG.    As the event began... I was hopeful that the majority of those in attendance would like the format and concept and feel that their time was well spent and productive and that being a participant was really valuable.   The outcome was so much more than I could have hoped for by closing night.   Everyone was really interacting and enjoying the closeness of a small group.   Conversations were endless and fruitful.   Business was getting done in a very highly focused arena yet relaxed, comfortable and intimate.

I'm overwhelmed by all of the positive comments from friends and colleagues.  I learned quite a bit about myself during the planning, coordination and execution of this event.  ( I think I learned something about those there as well!)   If you have a passion and belief, don't settle... take the risk and go for it.   The other thing that was reconfirmed to me is that regardless of where you end up in your life.. you should never risk your relationships.   They are your most valuable asset.

For those friends and colleagues who were there... thank you doesn't seem adequate enough to show appreciation for your friendship, confidence, support and belief that we could create something new, fresh, innovative in such a small arena... but when all was said and done... we did.

The exchange of dialogue was open and ongoing.  Our industry has changed and evolved... and there's an exciting buzz about something completely off the radar that allows us to keep our cost down, yet yield high results.   The best news of all is that the conversation continues and ideas are already flowing for the next exchange.   I'm looking forward to it and I hope you are as well.   If you're in a meeting with a key buyer or supplier... make sure to mention it.    (Also... if you're on facebook - LIKE US on our new page - Hospitality Business Exchange or if you tweet, please follow me jenrobinson09 or hbe5.   You can also find me on LINKEDIN.

Geez.. looks like I'm everywhere!!!

By the way... I found some fabulous new recipes for some tasty beverages!  Have you tried Monin's Apple Pie flavor... oh my goodness!  (They also have Blueberry, Blackberry, Pomegranate and so many many more!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...