Thursday, January 2, 2014

Nifty "50"

so... my journey begins... the road to 50.   I have been pondering this huge milestone in my life for quite sometime.  will i feel 50?  will i look 50?  will i feel old?  am i old?  when i look in the mirror, will i see more gray?   what does turning 50 actually mean?  



yes... the questions are endless and the answers are all different depending on who you are talking to about the magic number.   I must admit... I don't feel like I'm a mere 10 months away from the "half-century" mark.  (geez... that does sound old!).  With all of these thoughts and ramblings going on, I decided to mark 2014 as "the road to 50" and to create a "be" list  to help me as I journey into the next chapter.  It's never too late, right?  So... what's on my map as I try to navigate to the nifty "50"... 

1.)  Be healthy.  My number one priority in 2014 is to have a healthier lifestyle, which is not always easy when you travel.  The time is now... to make the change and to STICK with it.  (Trust me, that does not mean I will be passing on the glass of wine... but, I have learned it's about choices and I am not always one to pick the best choice when eating properly!)  

2.)  Be kind.   This sounds odd, right?  But... I've realized as the years have slowly added up and the changes in hormones have hit... that I am not always the nicest person on the blog.  I have allowed my patience to dwindle and at times, I find myself thinking very "unkind" things.  (Yes, this happens when I'm driving and I'm cut-off; or I am at the airport and there's someone sitting next to me chatting for what seems like hours on end; or when I am shopping and the salesperson is on my heels... I will try my very best to be a kinder, gentler version).  

3.)  Be inspired.   This one is probably the easiest on my list as I am so very fortunate to love what I do and adore the people I work with on a daily basis.   There are so many amazing individuals in our industry who have such passion and creativity.  It's hard not to get caught up in it and be inspired yourself.  My goal is to inspire others as much as I am inspired myself. 

4.)  Be charitable.   This year I want to be more supportive of the charities that I support and endorse and to help in any way I can.  We are all very fortunate and blessed to be able to do the things we love to do but there are many who are not... and we should all give back more.  (Some of my favorites are CORE; Helen David Relief Fund ;  St. Jude and American Cancer Society).  I also hope to get more involved with some type of charity that has a focus on COPD.) 

5.)  Be adventureous!  This is the year where I want my journey to involve checks off my bucket list.  I want to experience as many wonderful memories as possible and to move toward 50 with adventure and spontaneous moments.  Life shouldn't be a planned activity... for every moment we breathe.  We should embrace what life gives us and take it! 


6.)  Be present.  (I'm sure you're thinking... what on earth!)   As we all move through our daily lives.. and sometimes just go through the motions... are we really present?  Are we focused?  Are we centered and grounded on the tasks at hand?  For me... I am a multi-tasker... but, its not always a good thing.  One of my goals this year is to be present with everything I do and to try and make sure that I am enjoying life and not going through the motions.) 

7.  Be authentic.   I always want to be the person I am whether its home or at work.  I want to be genuine and make sure that I am never quoted as being fake or insincere.  Be original!! 

8.  Be a leader.  As I move toward a new year and new opportunities, I want to drive new levels of excellence and standards within my own business but those relationships that I am very fortunate to be a part of their business.  I want to set the bar higher and to under promise and overdeliver.   I want to lead by example.  

9.  Be humble.   Life is too short to take things for granted.  I want to appreciate my life more and be more thankful for each person in it.  I truly believe that people are placed in your path for a reason and I want to be take time to smell the roses and to enjoy my family, my friends, my work and most of all know.. that it can all be taken at a moment's notice.  

10.  Be happy.   My final item on my road to 50 is to simply be happy.   I want to wake up every day with a happy thought and to end every day with one.  I want to embrace the challenges, the trials, tribulations but to keep a positive attitude.  

Turning 50 is a huge milestone for me.   For awhile, I thought about hopping in bed, pulling those covers up and spending the entire year in bed... until the day passed... but, I have decided to take a new approach.   I will embrace the number, the year, the milestone.  I will look forward to the journey and appreciate waking up toward it each and every day.  

After-all, age is just a number.  It doesn't define us, right?   As we go about our daily lives and we meet someone who is enjoying life and embracing it... we should not question it, we should applaud it.  



So... join me on my journey for the next 10 months and come October... I plan on marking the milestone in a big way!  

Nifty 50!  Ready, Set, Go!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...