Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Yes, I'd Love a Phone Call From Heaven!

Life has a funny way of always putting things in your path just when you need it.   As I was thinking about my next blog post, which I knew would be about my mother, I was working in my home office and the inspiration came like a gift from above.   As I work, I like noise and usually will watch the Today show or Good Morning America in the morning for any news or relevant stories that might be interesting.   This morning, as I was going about answering emails and such, I looked up and saw a segment on the Katie show, where she was interviewing Mitch Albom who wrote the book, "the first phone call from heaven".   Why at that particular moment would this segment come on?  Why today?  There's always so many questions and not enough answers, but, sometimes you simply don't ask the why.  Today was one of those days.  

I found myself turning up the volume and listening intently to the interview.  I googled the book and knew immediately that I would download it and read it.  One of the questions that the author asked Katie was who she would want to get a phone call from heaven from... and she replied, that she'd like to hear from her husband, Jay and maybe her sister and Dad.  She asked if she could have a conference call.  (ha!)  As I laughed at her response,  I realized tears were falling.  Not from sadness, but, from the joy of thinking about getting a phone call from heaven.  

http://youtu.be/_ENSBc3FajY  (click the link and you'll see what the book is all about.) 

Four years ago today, my mom passed away and not a day goes by that I don't think about her (or my Dad either.)  My parents passed away exactly 6 months apart and it was a difficult time, for me, especially.   I am the youngest of 3 children and as I've mentioned before, I was close to my parents.  The older I got, the more I wanted to be around them.   This segment seemed to be on at this exact moment just for me.   It was almost like my mother could hear me and she was helping.   As I was watching the interview... I found myself imagining my phone ringing and my mother being on the other end.  (There was nothing she loved better than a good long phone conversation!)  Yes, the more I thought about this... the more I thought...   I would gladly welcome a phone call from heaven and yes, I would need a party line.  I would want to talk to my momma and my daddy, both.  My dad would have perfect hearing now, because in heaven life has to be perfect.  My momma would listen (okay, probably not).  I would listen and laugh at her stories and instructions just like we used to do.  My dad would tell me how pleased he was with the Ole Miss Rebels and so on.  For a few moments this morning... as I closed my eyes and envisoned the phone call and conversation, a great peace came over me.  I can't describe the feeling.  I've had it before and felt their presence.  Some might say I'm crazy.  I don't know.  All I know, is they are both with me each and every day.  They are in my heart and when I find myself thinking of them, I look up... and know that they are there.  



During the course of the interview with Katie, the author shares the story of his mom, who has had a stroke and she can no longer speak.  He can touch her but he doesn't know if she can really understand.  He said that the one thing he missed was hearing her voice.   He went on to say that a lot of people save messages on answering machines or cell phones because of this one thing.  They missed the person's voice.  I was a bit dumbfounded.   Was this man talking directly to me?   I thought I was crazy because I saved my mom's cell phone, simply because it had her voice on it and whenever I felt down or needed to know she was there, I would play the recording on it.   

Immediately following the segment on this author and his book, Katie made the transition with ease... to comfort food.... I just sat there a moment.  I found myself smiling... because if there was one thing my mother knew it was.. comfort food.  

So today was a good day.  It was unexpected.  I decided that I wanted the hard copy of this book, so I drove to town to pick it up and know that on my business trips this week, my idle time will be spent with this book.  I can't wait to read it.  



So... Mom and Dad, if you're listening and I know you are... my phone number is still the same and I'd love to have a conversation.  We have a lot to catch up on.   




No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...