Monday, January 13, 2014

Take Me Back to Mayberry, Please.


 Over the holidays,  I had the opportunity to watch television and one of the shows that I am always drawn to is 'The Andy Griffith Show".   As  I was flipping channels and saw it playing…  my remote instantly stopped.  I'm laughing now as I even write this thinking of it.  I truly enjoy watching the antics of Andy, Barney, Aunt Bee, Opie, Floyd, Helen, Goober, Gomer, Otis, the Mayor… and basically feel like I know them all on a personal basis.  



Who doesn't know the theme song to the show?  Who hasn't tried to whistle it?  (and while you're whistling it, who didn't get that feel good all over feeling?) Now, you'll be whistling this all day... and I can guarantee, you'll be smiling while doing it.  

As I was watching a recent episode, I thought about why I found it so appealing and enjoyable.  Was it the wholesomeness of the show?  The characters?  The stories?  Was it the fact that life seemed to go by at a slower pace with a lot of southern hospitality?  Was it the small town charm that was conveyed in every episode?  Was it the humor in watching Barney's antics…. with the biggest dilemma being 
whether he would be able to find his  "single bullet"  if the day ever came when he needed to use it?   For me... it was all about Andy.   Andy was easy-going, calm and a leader not just as a boss and father, but as a friend, a companion and neighbor.   Whatever the situation, Andy found the right solution and always provided us with a good dose of "learnin'".   

Andy Griffith is an icon and the role he played on the show became part of our daily lives.  Andy and Mayberry represent a part of my childhood .... and now, as an adult, bring great memories but also enjoyable television time.  (Aren't re-runs, the greatest? )  Andy wasn't always perfect and what was so great about the show was that even when he was wrong.. he made sure that he made amends.  

The show is a vault of life lessons that are delivered with such realism and humor, that you feel, like you're a member of the community when you're watching the show. You feel connected to the characters.  You find yourself rooting for Otis to get clean; or Barney to not be so clumsy; or Aunt Bee to find a companion.   You are invested into getting to know all of them.   Mayberry, North Carolina is part of American culture and it has left a lasting impression for most of us.    Every episode shares values and a message that would make all of us a better person.  (Not just personally, but professionally, as well.)  It would be interesting to create a leadership course based on Andy.   

"Be honest; Work hard; Respect your family, friends and community; Take care of each other; Don't sweat the small stuff; Smile; Be kind; Be a mentor and coach; Never judge… and the one lesson that seemed to be a staple during the television's run… "do the right thing".   

As I thought about making this the focus of my post this week,  memories came flooding back of coming home from elementary or junior high school every day at 3:30 p.m. and walking in and going straight to the television.  There without fail,  Sheriff Andy Taylor and company would take up 30 minutes of my day and provide me with teachings that I honestly didn't know I was getting at the time. 



 Today, our culture has become obsessed with another television show (even with all the controversy) --   Duck Dynasty.   Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Uncle Si could ever outdo Andy or Barney, but, I think the reason so many people are drawn to beards is that there is a certain amount of realism within the show that the majority of american's find appealing, as suggested by their viewing numbers.  The Robertsons are willing to share their faith, their family and values without feeling like they have to hold back.  They brought prayer back to television when everybody else was trying to take it away.  Sure, they have edited it so that Si is hysterical and that there is a certain amount of comedy in each episode, but the family stays true to who they are in the series.  I think our country is hungry for it with all of the senseless tragedies and turmoil that we see every day on the news.  



For me, I will welcome Andy, Barney and the gang into my life at any opportunity and find myself laughing out loud over and over again, regardless of how many times I've seen the episode.   It reminds me that every day we will all face challenges and problems (even tv characters)  but we can solve those with patience, understanding, trust and love.   Sheriff Taylor is a fictional character and the town of Mayberry may not exist but those life lessons learned are very real.   Take Me Back to Mayberry, please.  

cue…. the whistle.  





   


No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...