Thursday, April 28, 2011

Compassion. Community. Care.

Sitting here today, I find that I am counting my blessings, literally one by one.  I imagine that I am not alone.  I would guess that there are many family and friends in the deep south doing the exact same thing and then I imagine that there are others who are suffering significantly at the loss of loved ones, their homes and more. 

The last several days, my own beloved hometown has been under severe weather and unfortunately, we did not go unscathed.   It's not unfamiliar territory for us, as we have faced frightening storms before and each time, the fear, uncertainty and stress take their toll.   As a community, yesterday,  we experienced several tornadoes that left many without homes and destruction around us.   Its difficult not to be saddened and affected deeply whether you knew someone directly or indirectly.   As I try and compose my thoughts, my heart is wrenching for not only those in my own area, but for those in Alabama where the devestation is far greater and worse than my own neighborhood or community.   Alabama was the hardest hit in a series of storms that spanned six Southern states. 

For myself, yesterday was truly terrifying.   Storms have always scared me, but it seems that in recent years, my fear has become greater.  I am not a storm tracker.   I don't have a storm shelter, but after yesterday, I know that I will be looking into getting one.  I spent most of yesterday in my office, under my desk with a webcast of the local news on, praying that I didn't lose internet connection.   It was my lifeline.  I felt the need to communicate with others who were just as terrified, so not only did I have the weather on, I was logged into facebook.  Our local newspaper was very diligent about posting news as well as friends and family.  As for the weather,  I don't always understand all the diagrams they show you on the newscast, but I am so grateful that they pre-empt all regular programming to do nothing but broadcast the radar.  After a very exhausting morning, more panic came late yesterday, when the latest storm cell showed the path of a tornado tracking over my house and neighborhood.   Immediately, I began to dial all my family members making sure they were accounted for and telling them to take cover.    I am blessed that they are all safe.  Stuff can be replaced.  Trees replanted.  Yes, today...I am counting my blessings.  

Compassion.  Community.  Care.  Those 3 simple words describe the outpouring of support that I witnessed  as people pulled together to help their fellow neighbors and even complete strangers.  From cutting down trees, to picking up debris, to bringing water and food to those working diligently to help those affected.  As a community, I am grateful for our county power crews, sheriff's department and others who are putting in countless of hours to help get power back and clear the roads.  The American Red Cross and the Salvation Army have set up shelters and mobile food trucks across the southern region affected by these tragic storms. To find out how to donate, just go to the websites, www.redcross.org or www.salvationarmyusa.org.   You can click on the donate now button or click on your local group and find information on how to help those affected.

Today, the sun was shining brightly after the darkness we all felt yesterday.  It gave new hope that another day was dawning and that even though we don't always understand why something happens, our faith gives us the strength and comfort to know that God never fails us, even in times of turmoil and crisis.

May God Bless and Comfort Each of those families affected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...