Monday, February 28, 2011

Networking - The Old Fashioned Way.

Do you even remember what it is or is it a thing of the past?   Is it still vital in today's business with the focus being so intense on social media these days?  What is the old fashioned way?  Well... from my point of view and after looking it up to get a good definition..it is...

"the exchange of information or services among individuals, groups or establishments specifically the cultivation of productive relationships for business, personal or other group activities."

At one time or another, we have all been in situations where networking was involved.  From the time we were children to teens and into adulthood, networking has been key in the growth of our relationships with others.  In high school or college, we attended school functions, football games, dances, parties... where we engaged or socialized with our peers.   Basically, we were networking and didn't even know it.  

In today's work environment, relationships are essential to the growth of every successful company.   Through-out my careers, it has been stressed over and over, how important relationships are... and not just building them, but maintaining them... nurturing them and honestly, I would not be where I am today without the relationships I have been so fortunate and blessed to have made through-out the last 4 decades.    Thank goodness, I am a "people person".   I absolutely love people and often, I can meet someone for the first time and feel as if I have known them all my life.  

If you were to ask any successful business person, I honestly believe that they will tell you that above all else networking skills are absolutely vital to grow your business. Why?  Networking can increase your market share, help you gain new ideas, provide work and perspectives on life and business. It can expand your brand within a matter of minutes.  Speaking to one person can potentially give you access to over 200 clients and suppliers or more. 

Now, I know that with social media... the expansion of networking is now in the thousands, but I like to think that the old fashioned method is still the most effective.  I am not saying social media isn't important... it is, but for me... I enjoy meeting someone and getting to know them.     

I've been in many conversations with my colleagues and was shocked to discover that there are a lot of people who are uncomfortable with networking.  I tried to imagine that... and while at times, it has been overwhelming to walk into a room not knowing someone, I found that all it takes is a warm smile and a friendly hello to strike up that first conversation.  I have always stressed to co-workers and employees... don't wait for someone to approach you... initiate the conversation and even though you may be afraid or uncomfortable, by reaching out first, you have the opportunity to meet people who look interesting to you.   

I found the quote below while researching successful tips on networking and found this statement to be profound.    

           Effective business networking is the linking together of individuals who, through trust and     relationship building, become walking, talking advertisements for one another. 

Isn't this so true?  I mean, seriously, how many times have you been in conversations with someone and they mentioned that they were looking for some particular product or something and if you knew someone, you immediately recommended them or told them you'd make an introduction.  For me... I do it daily.   I have actually become known as someone who can make introductions... and that's not a bad place to be.   For me... I just love seeing the right people get together to create success. 

What else can you do to become effective?   Well... one thing is when you walk into a crowd, don't shrink into a corner.  Be seen.  Smile warmly, greet everyone and try to set yourself apart from the crowd.   Make sure that you dress for success.   There are times to dress up and times to dress down, depending on the occasion, but know that impressions, especially first ones are lasting.  Be positive and confident.  Even if you're feeling shaky on the inside...project a calm and confident manner outwardly.   Once you do this enough, it will be come natural.   

One thing that I have found in my own careers is by being open and assessible and willing to help others, it comes back two fold.  Be approachable and engaging and most of all, be geniune.   These are the things that for me have proven to be successful time after time.   There's a thrill and challenge in every opportunity to network because you never know who you might meet or connect with at any given chance.    I've always found that by just being myself... it usually works out.   When you meet someone new, you don't always have to talk business... small talk can be quite effective in developing a relationship.   Being able to talk to anyone about anything is a valuable commodity in its own way and essential.

Networking is not about selling a company or product. Its about two people who meet and engage in a conversation.    Its about meeting someone and listening to them and showing that you have a geniune interest in them as a person.  By being fully engaged, you are showing the other person that you really do want to get to know them.   You can always provide them with your business card at the end of the conversation and tell them that you'd love to visit with them more.   Its a great way to make sure that you get their information and have a way of following up with them. 

Even though, we are moving forward with technology that provides new ways of linking and reaching other individuals, I would still like to believe that the old fashioned way works best.  Nothing takes the place of being face to face wtih someone and having that acknowledgement that they are actually listening to you.   Having a smile returned or finding someone to talk to that you really find interesting.  

For me... there's simply nothing better than that.  (Well..... okay, maybe the Old Fashioned Cocktail...hmmm... as a very good friend of mine would say - YUMMY!)




-



No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...