Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference. 


 A special friend gave me a sterling silver necklace with a charm on it several years ago, when I was going through the illnesses and passing of my parents.  On the back of the charm, engraved was the message above.   The Serenity Prayer.   

This beautiful prayer was written by a man named Reinhold Niebuhr in 1943.  The words have special meaning to those who are often "looking for peace" at a time of turmoil, despair or uncertainty in their lives.  


The words are powerful and meaningful.   As we wander through life, there will always be things that happen to us... that are simply out of our control.  Things that we don't understand. This simple prayer has helped me more than once over the last several years and even more so recently.  

Sometimes... life is just tough.   Whether personal, work, family, friends, challenges, sickness/illness, break-ups... whatever you're going through...we have all at one point or another in some way... felt it. 

I hope that this prayer helps you in your tough times as it has me.     




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

8 minutes and 46 seconds..... why it matters

8 minutes and 46 seconds.   Doesn't seem like a very long time, does it....or DOES it?   It’s already July and the last few weeks of May...